The clock is ticking! The European Union warned Britain time was running out to seal a Brexit deal this autumn
The European Union on Monday warned Britain time was running out to seal a Brexit deal this autumn and ensure London does not crash out of the bloc next March, adding to pressure on the embattled Prime Minister Theresa May.
Diplomats and officials in Brussels note little progress in Brexit negotiations since the EU leaders last met, raising doubt about whether the bloc and London would be able to mark another milestone at the next top-level summit due on June 28-29.
„We are concerned that there is no clear stance, no clear position from the British. The clock is ticking,” German EU Minister Michael Roth told reporters on arriving for talks with EU peers in Brussels.
„We need now to be making substantial progress, but that is not happening. What is worrying us in particular is the Northern Ireland question where we expect a substantial accommodation from the British side.”
At home, May is stuck between a rock and a hard place with staunch Brexit supporters pushing to severe ties with the EU and others advocating keeping close customs cooperation with the bloc to smooth trade.
Both sides of the Irish border worry that reinstating a physical border between EU-member Ireland and Britain’s province of Northern Ireland could revive violence.
Other outstanding issues include ensuring expatriate rights, agreeing on security cooperation and trade rules after Brexit, to ensure a deal is in place when Britain leaves in March 2019, and an adaptation period ends at the end of 2020.
Citeste si alte articole pe aceasta tema:
- BREXIT. How Europeans living in the UK feel now Article 50 has been triggered. A romanian from London: I will have to look at alternatives
- France is blocking Britain from remaining part of an EU security system
- EU industry lobby adds to pressure on UK over Brexit talks: Britain needed trade to be as „frictionless as with a customs union” after Brexit
- EU leaders are expected to unite on a tough opening negotiating stance on Brexit at a special summit in Brussels
- UK says EU plans to restrict the residency rights of British expats living within the bloc once the UK leaves
Ultimele stiri din Romania
Ultimele stiri din UK
Medici Romani in UK
Chirii in UK
- „Coboram la prima”, primul film inspirational romanesc, ajunge la Londra, la invitatia East European Cultural Centre. Regizorul Tedy Necula: Romanii, oriunde s-ar afla, au nevoie de povesti pozitive 22:05, 20.Ian 2019
- Ce poate face Romania pentru diaspora din Marea Britanie in cazul unui Brexit dur 23:03, 15.Ian 2019
- Noble Manhattan si Diana Moraru continua sa dezvolte prima scoala de coaching din Rep. Moldova. Urmatorul workshop va avea loc in martie 20:14, 11.Ian 2019
- Federatia Romanilor de Pretutindeni s-a lansat in Marea Britanie. Organizatia are ca scop apararea drepturilor si libertatilor romanilor din diaspora 16:22, 8.Ian 2019
- Locuri de munca pentru Asistenti Medicali in Marea Britanie oferite de PCQ Healthcare Romania 10:58, 4.Iul 2017